Aledo Varsity Baseball at Granbury.
The Community News • P.O. Box 1031 • 203 Pecan Dr. • Aledo, TX 76008 • 817-441-7661 • FAX: 817-441-5419
Weatherford ISD’s Child Nutrition Department will once again participate in the Summer Nutrition Program June 1 – Aug. 5 at Ikard Elementary, 100 Ikard Lane, in Weatherford.
Breakfast will be offered from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.; and lunch will be offered from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The program offers meals to children ages 18 and under at no charge.
The purpose of the Summer Nutrition Program is to enable schools to continue to operate the National School Lunch Program during the summer months. Both programs address hunger and healthy eating to benefit the well-being of Texas’ children.
Benefits of the program include:
* Children receive nutritious meals at no charge.
* Parents stretch food dollars and know that their children are receiving healthy meals in a supportive environment.
* Food service workers are employed during the summer months.
* Organizations receive funds to provide meals to complement already scheduled programs, such as day camps, sports activities and tutoring sessions.
* Communities provide safe places for children at summer feeding sites.
* Sponsors, such as school districts, provide food and employ workers while providing a safe place for children.
The Summer Nutrition Program is sponsored by the Texas Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Division.
Last year, for example, approximately 21,326,163 meals were served throughout the state at 5,082 different locations.