The Community News • P.O. Box 1031 • 203 Pecan Dr. • Aledo, TX 76008 • 817-441-7661 • FAX: 817-441-5419
- News About...
- Schools and Sports
- How to
- Read Online
The recent ninth annual Weatherford College Coyote Area Black and Gold Math Championship, sponsored by the College’s Math Department, brought in tough competitors from 10 area high schools, and many of the 88 mathematicians walked away with top honors and prizes.
Participating this year were teams from high schools in Peaster; Poolville; Trinity Christian; Stephenville; Mineral Wells; Chico; Weatherford Christian; Godley; Lancaster and Weatherford. The schools each had two teams of four, one in the Black Division and one in the Gold Division. Competition in the Black Division included questions from calculus, algebra, geometry, mathematical reasoning and trigonometry. Questions for the Gold Division teams came from algebra, mathematical reasoning and geometry.
Shirley Brown, chair of the math department, and Grace Rothrock, WC math instructor and co-coordinator of this year’s contest, presented awards to the following teams and individuals who excelled in the contest:
Team winners in the Gold Division:
* 1st Place Team – Poolville High School (Vince Rodriguez, Kayla Brooks, Natalie Darden, Andrew Sies)
* 2nd Place Team – Stephenville High School (Jamie Carson, Chris Marble, Kyle Bullard, Zachary Rojas)
* 3rd Place Team – Weatherford High School (Laila Abdeljalil, Zack Christianson, Rebecca Harlow, Bailey Hulsey)
Top ten individuals in the Gold Division:
* 1st – Andrew Sies – Poolville
* 2nd – Christopher Marble – Stephenville
* 3rd – John Turner – Trinity Christian
* 4th – Kyle Bullard – Stephenville
* 5th – Rebecca Harlow – Weatherford High School
* 6th – Troy Hunt – Godley
* 7th – Vince Rodriguez – Poolville
* 8th – Larson Binzer – Weatherford Christian
* 9th – Zach Christiansen – Weatherford High School
* 10th – Mollie Wilson – Mineral Wells
Team Winners in the Black Division:
* 1st Place Team – Stephenville High School (Elijah Martin, Justin Tucker, Siyu Lei, Kaylee Davis)
* 2nd Place Team – Weatherford High School (Nathan Guilbault, Baha Eren, Spencer Christianson, Stephanie Recchia)
* 3rd Place Team – Weatherford Christian (Hanna Crutsinger, Dillon Welcher, Matt Aaron, Kaitlin Bomar)
Top Ten Individuals in the Black Division:
* 1st –Siyu Lei – Stephenville
* 2nd – Spencer Christianson – Weatherford High School
* 3rd – Matthew Aaron – Weatherford Christian
* 4th – Andrew Newell – Godley
* 5th - Elijah Martin – Stephenville
* 6th – Nathan Guilbault – Weatherford High School
* 7th – Brooke Hitt – Peaster
* 8th – Justin Tucker – Stephenville
* 9th – Kaylee Davis – Stephenville
* 10th – Dillon Welcher – Weatherford Christian
While the tests were being scored, the students heard an interesting presentation titled “Power up your Mind” by Dr. Frances Thompson from Texas Woman’s University. After the general assembly, all of the students, sponsors and workers enjoyed pizza together in Texas Hall.
After lunch, everyone gathered in Alkek Theatre for the awards presentation. Dr. Richard Bowers, dean of math and science, made some brief remarks, and Dr. Rickey Harman, math instructor, honored Bob Glenn and Plains Capital Bank, which sponsored the math contest once again this year.
“Their continued sponsorship allows the College to present some very nice prizes to the top 10 winners in each division, said Harman, “plus plaques to the winning teams and providing the food and t-shirts for each individual.”