The Community News • P.O. Box 1031 • 203 Pecan Dr. • Aledo, TX 76008 • 817-441-7661 • FAX: 817-441-5419
- News About...
- Schools and Sports
- How to
- Read Online
Anyone needing to check blood pressure, cholesterol levels, vision, sight, and just about any other type of health screening – plus get a flu shot – will have the opportunity this Friday, Oct. 15, as the second annual Health Fair, sponsored by the Weatherford College Allied Health Department, kicks off at 7 a.m.
Organized by the WC chapter of the National Student Nursing Association, the fair brought in more than 300 people last year, and Marc Wilson, president of the NSNA, said that many and more are expected this year.
“It’s a great opportunity to get free health screenings, like blood pressures checks and vision and hearing tests, and also pick up some information about health services in this area,” Wilson said. “Also, many of the vendors will be providing free samples of products, and our cafeteria here at the college will be offering an especially healthful breakfast, too. There will be lots of things going on.”
The popularity of last year’s event prompted the move to larger facilities this year. Vendors and screening tables will be set up around the large parameter of the Doss Student Center, 7-10 a.m.
The Parker County Hospital District will be offering flu shots for $10. (Cost for students with WC student ID is $5). Payment must be in cash or check; no credit cards can be accepted.
WC Phlebotomy Technology students will be offering the following lab work:
· Lipid (Cholesterol)
· CBC (Complete Blood Count)
· TSH (Thyroid)
· A1C (Glucose)
Each lab work test performed will cost $10, and there is an additional $10 fee that will go toward a phlebotomy scholarship.
Important: Those interested in the lab work requiring a blood-draw are reminded to fast before coming to the Health Fair. No food or drink after midnight on Friday morning is suggested for the best results.
The following additional services and vendors will also be available at the Health Fair:
· blood pressure checks will be performed by RN students
· Respiratory Care students will perform pulse oximetry
· Freedom House information
· blood glucose checks
· Carter Bloodcare
· MHMR of Tarrant County
· Dr. Stamatis and Dr. McBride of Weatherford OB/GYN Associates
· Options Women’s Clinic
· Dr. Miller of Dermatology Associates of Parker County
· 4-Minute Fitness
· Martin Crest Assisted Living and Memory
· Hometown Pharmacy
· Rebekah Jeffrey offering massage therapy
· Cook Children’s Health Care System with car seat safety information
· MHMR of Tarrant County
· Air Evac Lifeteam bringing Helicopter
· Dan Lund Agency with Great American Senior Benefits
· Green Apple Therapy (Pedi Home Health)
· IntegraCare Hospice
· Chase Baxter, Baxter Hearing Specialists
· Guardian Healthcare
· Dr. Jessica Hals, Texas Oncology
· The Journey of Life Foundation
· Lisa Graves, Advocare
· Solis Women’s Health
· Dr. Lorelei Felix, Wright Chiropractic
· Powerhouse Gym
· All Star Clips
· AIDS Resources of Rural Texas
· East Texas AHEC
· Alzeheimer’s Foundation of America
· American Cancer Society
· Fisher Chiropractic
· Wood Orthodontics
· The Chi Lady
Vendors of health-related services and products still are being sought to join the event. Anyone interested in setting up a free booth should call Wilson at 817-266-6412 for more information, or nursing instructor Carin Adams at 817-598-6437.
The Health Fair is free and open to the public: Oct. 15, 7-10 a.m., Doss Student Center on WC’s Weatherford campus.